Emmy Mom, for Friday 5! Since we've been sick this week and haven't done much of anything I'm sort of cheating and covering the last 2 weeks.
1. I love my kids! Most of us have been under the weather this past week which is no fun, but they have the best attitudes. When I lost my voice they turned my trying to communicate into a game of charades that ended with us laughing like crazy every time. When my son comes home from school he is not always in the best mood, and with homework, piano, and chores to do I don't blame him. Today, however, when he came in the door he was in such a happy and cheerful mood! It really reminded me how much one person's attitude can affect the rest of the people in the house. I immediately felt happier and more cheerful, despite feeling blah from being sick, all because he was a bright ray of sunshine.
2. Disneyland knows how to do things right. It is no secret that my love for all things Disney runs deep but last week I got to do something I've never done...volunteer at a Disney race! I worked 2 days in the Expo handing out shirts for the 5k and the 1/2 marathon. I am no runner by any means but I have run a few 5ks in my time and let me say that packet/t-shirt pick up is the worst! Long lines, wrong t-shirt sizes, people who have only been trained briefly and are still figuring things out, you name it. But not with Disney! There was not a single line at the t-shirt station the entire two days, that's how efficient their system is. I am excited to volunteer again but also excited to sign up my family for their Disneyland 5k in September!
3. Miss M had her dance recital last week after 7 weeks of rehearsals. She was incredible and has such a talent for dance, but my favorite part of this has been seeing how much she lights up when she dances. She took dance year round where we used to live but this was our first time getting her in a dance class here. I think it's something we need to make a regular thing.
4. I'm so grateful for good friends. Whether it's a conversation via text with friends who live far away, lunch with a nearby friend, or a phone call when you need it. Good friends are a treasure.
5. My sister-in-law was diagnosed with cancer recently and while not pleasant at all, we are already seeing some of the "side effect blessings" as I like to call them. Our children have been praying for her every single night and if they/we forget to they insist that we pray again. We have also started video chatting with her each week which has been such a treat as she has lived on the other side of the country for the last 10 years and so we don't see her often. It has been great to connect with her and be uplifted by her faith and her strength.